Reassurance...


If you and I have talked personally about this adventure at any point in time, you know that I definitely have some anxiety. :) (a bit of an understatement, really) It is equally matched by my excitement, and frankly, I am constantly learning to "cast all of my cares upon Him, for He cares for me" I Peter 5:7 I can feel my faith being challenged through every step, and growth is always uncomfortable.


But God whispers His reassurances to me in so many ways - and often. I think He realizes that I need to know He's in this, here with us, going before us from the beginning. I keep being reminded that He is here and there, in Argentina, in Brazil, at each tiny dock to which we'll tie our lines. Suddenly, there are a lot of verses and songs that have more profound meaning for me. This past weekend in church, the choir sang a beautiful rendition of Matt Redman's song 'You Never Let Go' ... "Oh no, You never let go. Through the calm and through the storm...Oh You never let go of me."

Another unexpected whisper came while I was knee deep in homeschooling research. I stumbled across this poem by a sailing mom. It sums up some of the fears and uncertainties that have been rolling around in THIS mom's head, too. It reminded me that it has been done, and the challenges hold sweet blessings.

              THE RIGHT THING - a poem for sailing Mom's
                 by Becky Berger, S/V 'Ohana in Exumas, Bahamas
                                     Mother of 2 little girls

                                   Last night I cried

The tears just kept flowing and I couldn't stop.
I panicked
Are we doing the right thing?
A beautiful house with cozy beds, soaking tubs, newly planted gardens
Neighbors who wave and smile as they pass by
Good friends
Computers humming with 24-hour internet access
Cable TV
Stainless steel appliances, washing machines, microwaves
Scheduled playdates, Gymboree, music lessons, soccer practice
Babysitters

Leaving it all

Traffic jams
Kids screaming in the backseat
An organizer so jammed I can't close it
A house so big I can't clean it
Running on the same treadmill, scenery unchanging
CNN buzzing with the same stories
Books on the shelf unread, waiting
Glancing wearily at my husband, too tired to talk

I sleep

This morning I woke to a brilliant sunrise
Coffee brewing on the galley stove
He was sitting with the girls, giggling and waking them with kisses
I stole a smile from him as I walked out on deck
The cool breeze awoke my senses as I sat at the bow with my warm mug
I pan our surroundings - coconut palms, white beaches, a sailboat, an old wooden dock
Breathing and stretching, I listened
Waves slapped gently against our hull
A seagull calls, breaking the silence
Clocks and schedules gone
Days spent together
We talk. We laugh. We share
I am alive and life is simple
And then I decided...
We are doing the right thing




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Dipping

Ulithi Atoll, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM)

Off the Beaten Path - Cruising Sumatra's West Coast!